Friday, June 29, 2012

The one that isn't invited to the table...

Please forgive the fuzzies from her socks.  I like it because it makes her look dirty.  Everyone loves a dirty baby.

So, E and I were sitting at the table, while Finn was in her Mamaroo.  I started staring at her toes, her cute little piggies that went to market.  I realized that her fourth toe isn't in line with her other toes.  I started telling E that I hoped that she would be able to wear the cute high-heels (if they are still in style when she gets of the proper age) without suffering too much for fashion.  E thought that I might be over-exaggerating about the exclusion of the fourth toe.  And I told him "No, seriously.  That fourth toe isn't invited to the table."  E started laughing really hard and had to come over and look.  True enough.  That is also the little piggy that had none.  Coincidence?  I think not.  


So we had her four month doctor's appointment  on Wednesday evening (even though she will be five months next week).  She is as healthy as a horse.  Finn weighed in at 15.5 pounds, which is in the 75th percentile.  She is also 26 inches long, which is in the 90th percentile.  As you can see above, she was really digging the sanitary paper on the table.  Dancing machine!

And Sophie makes her blog-torial debut...

We also got the green light to start on rice cereal.  With E being out of town until Sunday, we are going to start the cereal on Sunday.  We want Daddy to be there to either do the feeding or be the documentarian.  Which one will be his call?  Do you think that he'll want to get in there and get dirty?  Or just let Mama handle the food a'flyin'?


The doctor said that she didn't feel any teeth.  She said that babies can have the symptoms of teething months before their teeth actual arrive.  If I have to put up with all this drooling for months, I'm going to have to invest in some serious bibs.  We are going through about 3-4 a day.  I feel bad when they are so wet that her shirt & chest get wet -- no I'm not talking damp, I'm talking full-blown sopping WET.  I would also like to make some cute one with different patterns.  All the bibs that you find in the stores are too baby for me.  And the cute ones that you find on the internet are too fricking expensive.  Who wants to spend $8 on a cute piece of cloth that my baby is going to snot and throw up on?  Not I, said the sea captain to the sailor.


The doctor also mentioned that it wasn't uncommon for bigger babies to not roll over as soon.  I proudly told her that she rolled over once, but never again.  She said that smaller babies usually master this a lot quicker because there is less mass to move.  I'm not in as much of a hurry as I was to have her roll over.  I've seen videos of babies that simply roll all over the room.  That means motility.  We're good for now.

Of course, this is the wrong WB -- Mama is gonna cheat & is buying a different program for editing so she can fix her WBs.

And the doctor also told me that breastfed babies tend to sleep through the night a lot later than babies fed on formula.  So in other words, her still waking up at 2:00am-4:00am is perfectly normal for a breastfed baby, much to her daddy's chagrin.  The doctor said that everything looked beautiful and that we should come back at 6 months.  Then the nurse came in to give her an oral vaccine and two shots.  Sister did fabulously for her oral vaccine.  She was sucking it down before the end of the tube.  Then we got to the two shots, one in each leg.  The first shot caused her to cry, but I was surprised that she wasn't screaming.  I remember myself crying during her first vaccination because she was screaming so loud.  I thought we were out of the woods.  Oh, no, never think you are out of the woods until you can see the sunshine & the sky.  Because that second shot, well -- with the way that she screamed, you would have thought that the needle was the size of a pencil.  I got her to calm down fairly easy when it was over -- but girlfriend was NOT going to smile at the nurse anymore.


I also realized this past weekend that Finn has poor E's baby's ears.  They stick out like airplane wings.  I think that they are adorable -- but now can't pay attention to anything else.  Go ahead, go back to older posts where she is just sitting facing the camera.  You'll notice what I'm talking about and then that's all you'll notice.  I still think she is just perfect, though...  As the country song goes (with a name change, of course), "Finn is as pretty as the angels when they sing.  I can't believe I'm out here on the front porch in the swing -- just a'swingin'..."


No comments:

Post a Comment