Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Hold your head high!

At 5 1/2 weeks, I think that she is doing pretty darn well!

As you can see, Finn is getting REALLY good at holding up her head.  She isn't quite there yet and almost!

Smiles are also abundant (definitely not ALL the time), but she now smiles when she sees E or I after not seeing us for a while (i.e. when E comes home from work or when she wakes up and see us).  That toothless grin totally makes my heart melt.

We are starting to breastfeed again.  She has been getting 90% breast milk since her arrival, but I was pumping due to some issues we had in the hospital with her latch and not being able to see a lactation consultant for the first 36 hours.  I quit nursing and starting pumping about 5-7 days after bringing her home.  We tried to nurse again at about 2 weeks with a nipple shield, but she was falling asleep while nursing even despite efforts to keep her awake and she was getting a majority of foremilk and not enough hindmilk (which I didn't know anything about), causing some bad reactions.  So at 5 weeks, we decided to try it again as feeding and pumping seemed to be twice the work and I was getting exhausted.  We started up again on Sunday and so far, so good.  We still have to use a nipple shield, being that she had been on the bottle for so long.  But it's not a problem for me and it doesn't seem to be a problem for her.

I'm also stepping out of my comfort zone and signed up for a new-mommy group in the area.  Finn and I have our first new-members meeting on Thursday morning.  With two of my closest friends out here both moving out of the state in early fall, E and I both decided that I need to get out and meet new people, especially moms to build up my support group while I'm still at home on maternity leave.  The group also has couples' nights and I'm going to sign us up for the next one, which is in three weeks at a local brewery that both of us like to frequent.  There are already 9 couples, so hopefully we'll come away with some new friends! 

No comments:

Post a Comment